Energy exists in all things in the known universe from human beings to the chair that you sit on. There are seven main points in the body where energy is obvious, these are called Chakras. The Chakra Points, to some degree, determine how you feel. Chakras are like vortices of energy that spin both from the front of our bodies and the back. These energy centres can get blocked and sluggish at times, therefore making certain aspects of our life or physical body feel the same way. They can also spin too fast and become overactive, this in turn can also cause imbalances on various levels. Therefore, what we strive to achieve is a nicely balanced chakra system, so that each centre is working at its optimum level for us to feel healthy and harmonious in all aspects.
It is important then to realise that you may not need to energise certian chakras or indeed that others will need far more enrgy at certain times. A qualified healer will be able to perceive what is going on in each of your chakras and would allow energy to flow (or work with colours, crystals and sound according to need for your highest good) By using your own intuition you can get a fairly good idea of what is going on in your chakra system and work with this accordingly. If in doubt seek further advice from someone that is experienced in this field. (See Sharon and Brian in the Directory section for Healing)
With a well balanced Chakra system you will feel fit, healthy and harmonious. When they are not balanced you may feel disorientated, uncomfortable and lethargic.
The Chakras can also help you to communicate with the spirit realm. By learning to open your Chakras you push your energy level out, which ‘opens’ you for spiritual communication, but you must remember to close your Chakras because staying open too long will cause unbalancing.
Each Chakra works best with certain colours. There are seven major Chakra points in our bodies and they are situated as so:-
- Red – is the BASE, situated at the base of the spine. It is like the roots of a tree that bury themselves in the very heart of the Earth.
- Orange – is the SACRAL, situated about two inches below the navel. A mix of red and yellow, the Earth and the Sun. This is a mixture that benefits both mind (the Sun) and body (the Earth).
- Yellow – is the SOLAR PLEXUS, situated at the upper stomach (about four fingers width above the navel). It works to influence your mental attitude, enabling you to be good natured, contented and happy in whatever you choose to do.
- Green – is the HEART, situated in the middle of chest. The colour of growth and renewal. Green is a good balance between mind and body, it brings serenity and calmness both to you and those you come in contact with.
- Blue – is the THROAT, situated near bottom of the throat. Blue is a very strong, healing colour. It brings calm, peace and a love of both freedom and togetherness.
- Purple – is the BROW, situated in the middle of the forehead (or slightly lower/between eyebrows). This deeply spiritual colour is linked to the Pineal Gland in the brain which is said to be a sensory organ. It enables the individual to see, hear, write and work with Spirit Guides.
- Violet/White/Silver/Gold – is the CROWN chakra, situated at the top of the head. This is linked to the Pituitary Gland that secretes hormones to other glands of the body. It also symbolises purity of mind and body and is the strongest link to the spirit world.
- BASE CHAKRA
Physically relates to – legs, feet, base of spine, bones, kidneys
If imbalanced – unstable, insecure, hunger/weight gain, constipation, arthritis, spinal tension, knee problems
Physically relates to – reproductive system, skin, spleen, bladder, lower intestine
If imbalanced – jealousy, anger and other negative emotions, sexual problems, allergies, bladder
- SOLAR PLEXUS
Physically relates to – stomach, liver, digestion, nerves, muscles, gall bladder
If imbalanced – fear, lack confidence, perfectionist, too much intellect, diabetes, ulcers, digestive disorders
Physically relates to – heart, circulation, arms, hands, blood
If imbalanced – emotionally unstable, inability to show or receive affection, critical, heart problems, high blood pressure
Physically relates to – throat, mouth, neck, ears, lungs, shoulders
If imbalanced – communication issues, little discernment, ignorance, thyroid, ear, neck and throat problems
Physically relates to – left eye, nose, nervous system, lower brain
If imbalanced – cynical, fear, little focus/concentration, detached, headaches, eye problems/blindness, vivid/unpleasant dreams
Physically relates to – right eye, upper brain
If imbalanced – confused, depression, lack of enthusiasm/inspiration, migraines, forgetful/senile, psychotic
Chakras & Colours
If we integrate the various colours that relate to each chakra, either through healing, visualization, clothes we wear, crystals etc.. we can go a long way to bringing about a balance within these areas. Below is a list of various colours and how bringing them into our related chakras can enhance certain traits/emotions and aid certain physical issues.
- RED (Base) – grounding, stability, stamina, motivation, self – confidence, purpose, passion, excitement
- ORANGE (Sacral) – joy, respect for oneself, release (of stored negativity), creativity, cheer, pick-me-up, happiness
- YELLOW (Solar plexus) – cleansing, cheer, happiness, upliftment, ego, will(power), energy, focus, enthusiasm, self worth
- GREEN (Heart) – balance, harmony, peace, abundance, love yourself, release (heart related emotions), growth/new beginnings
- BLUE (Throat) – release of physical tension, communication, peace, healing, honesty, calming, cleansing, express oneself
- INDIGO/PURPLE (Brow) – wisdom, protection, vision, responsibility, understanding, seeking, power
- WHITE (Crown) – clarity, cleansing, clearing negativity, universal energy, has all colours within it, pureness
- PINK – sensitivity, compassion, unconditional love, nurturing
- VIOLET – power, transformation, spiritual growth, freedom, cleansing, knowing (clairvoyance)
- BLACK – absorbs negative, stability, protection, power, grounding,
- TURQUOISE – healing on all levels, communication, immune system,
There are a multitude of ways to open your Chakras (energy centres). Some people can ‘open’ (tune in on a spiritual level) instantly, for others it can take several minutes. If you follow the simple meditation script, you will notice that it takes you through the seven Chakra colours from red to white. Visualising these colours going through the body will in turn open each Chakra. You can visualise the colours as lights, mists or whatever you feel comfortable with.
Once you have worked through these you will find it easier to work on a spiritual level. Don’t worry if it doesn’t feel natural or easy at first, as with all things the more you practice the easier it will become.
To cleanse the Chakras yourself (as opposed to using one of the crystals which can perform this task automatically) you can visualise yourself under a waterfall or in a clear pool, again, whatever you are comfortable with.
Once you have finished balancing and cleansing your Chakras you must remember to ‘shut down’. If you don’t close your energy centres you will begin to feel unwell and fuzzy headed. Closing the Chakras is the reverse process of opening them i.e. visualising white light enveloping you from the top of your head and slowly moving down to red, the final colour, at the base of your spine. Normally you would image yourself being wrapped in a red cloak or something similar in the final stage.
Chakra and Crystals.
The Chakras work well with crystals. By holding and receiving the energy of the crystals, you can open, close or balance your Chakras. Every crystal performs a different job so it’s worth checking with someone who knows before you decide which one is going to be best for you to use on each occasion. Here is a list of some of the crystals and the Chakras they best relate to:
- Base – Garnet, Bloodstone, Ruby, Red Jasper, Black Tourmaline, Smokey Quartz, Obsidian.
- Sacral – Gold Topaz, Coral, Orange Calcite, Amber, Citrine, Carnelian, Peach Aventurine. Moonstone
- Solar plexus– Amber, Gold, Gold Calcite, Citrine Gold Tigers Eye.
- Heart – Chryoprase, Emerald, Rose Quartz, Kunzite, Green & Pink Tourmaline, Green Jade, Green Adventurine.
- Throat– Blue Topaz, Celestite, Turquoise Chrysocolla Sodalite, Lapis Lazuli, Aquamarine, Kyanite Blue lace Agate
- Brow – Quartz Crystal, Azurite, Lapis Lazuli Amethyst, Sapphire and Sodalite.
- Crown – Purple Flourite, Quartz Crystal, Selenite, Diamond, Alexandrite, Amethyst.
There are also some crystals that can help balance, open, close and ground such as Boji Stones™
For a more detailed look at the benefits of certain crystals, take a look at Sharon’s article on Crystals.
© Mystic Mouse, 2000, 2001, 2003