These notes are only guidelines to aid you on your own Spiritual path and as with all spiritual work it is often about finding your own Truth. If you disagree or feel uncomfortable with anything that is suggested here by all means find an alternative Truth that is acceptable to you.
Grounding/Earthing is all about the awareness that we are still in a physical body as well as endeavouring to become spiritual workers and beings.
Why is it so important that we ground/earth ourselves?
Below you will find a few ways in which being grounded can make such a difference to our everyday life:
- Brings life in to matter and to be able to bring our healing abilities into the physical.
- Increases balance and stability in our physical and our emotional state.
- Helps bring acceptance that we are here to fulfil a purpose.
- Brings strength.
- Helps in creating a bridge between Spirit and matter.
- Provides an outlet making the release (of energy) easier.
- Allows the attainment of higher Spiritual levels.
As a healer it is very important to keep your patient grounded.
How will I know if I am grounded or ungrounded?
Below is a list of some of the more common symptoms of being ungrounded. Usually each individual will encounter the same one or two symptoms each time they are ungrounded.
- A feeling of being ‘Spaced Out’
- Feeling sick
- Heart palpitations
- Eyes flickering
- Weight gain
- Static shocks
- Falling asleep when meditating
- Noise and light sensitive
- Having brilliant ideas that never happen
- Arguing and unable to get your point across
(Please note that many of these symptoms can also be linked to other physical conditions or illnesses, if in doubt always check with your GP. Light and energy work is complementary to general medicine and should not be viewed as a substitute.)
So how do I become more grounded?
Here are some things you can do to help bring you back down to earth:
- Eating (hence sometimes the weight gain) – healthy & balanced.
- Drinking water
- Walking, especially in natural surroundings
- Sports, yoga, tai chi etc.
- Animals eg. walking the dog
- Being purposeful
- Visualization of roots/colour (see below)
- Carrying/working with crystals (see below)
All of the list above is fairly self explanatory with the possible exception of visualization and the use of crystals, so here is a quick guideline as to how you can use either of these techniques:
The easiest and most helpful thing to imagine when you are trying to ground yourself is tree roots! Just imagine you have great long sturdy roots coming from the base of your feet (which should remain flat on the floor during the visualisation), or, from the base of your spine if you are sitting directly on the floor. Just let these roots go right down in to the earth below and let them anchor you onto the earth. This is a very quick and efficient technique to remember when releasing energy such as static shocks from cars and supermarket trolleys!
Colour can also be quite helpful, deep earthy colours such as red, brown and terracotta are always good. Again just imagine that this colour surrounds you. You can imagine it as light or a cloak or blanket, whatever is easier for you.
Crystals can be very helpful in the grounding process. It is best to carry them in a trouser or skirt pocket (or sock if you can make it comfortable!).You must remember to cleanse and dedicate your chosen crystal for this purpose before using it. A small piece of tumbled stone will be sufficient to carry with you. Here is a list of a few easy to obtain crystals that could be used for this purpose:
Red jasper (most jaspers are good as grounders) Bloodstone, Hematite, Gold tigers eye, Carnelian, Garnet, Pyrite, Copper, Amber, Unakite.
Also see our article on Protection.
© Mystic Mouse 2001